Cemeteries have been a part of human culture for thousands of years. It has been serving as the final resting place for the deceased. Over time, the way we honor and remember those who have passed on have evolved. Nowadays, technology is playing an increasingly important role in the way we think about death and burial. Particularly, smart cemeteries, or “smart graveyards,” are a new concept that integrates technology into the traditional cemetery experience.
Smart cemeteries applications
There are a lot of things that can be done using smart cemeteries in practice. Here are some examples of how technology is changing the cemetery landscape:
- Digital Headstones One of the most innovative concepts in the world of smart cemeteries is the digital headstone. These headstones use digital displays to showcase photos, videos, and other digital content that honors the deceased. Moreover, everyone can access the content through their smartphones. Then, it makes it easier to share memories and celebrate the life of the person who has passed on.
- GPS Grave Location Finding the grave of a loved one can be a difficult and emotional task. However, smart cemeteries are using GPS technology to make the process easier. With GPS grave location services, loved ones can use their smartphones to find the exact location of the grave. Therefore, it is much easier to visit and pay their respects.
- Automated Maintenance Maintaining a cemetery is a time-consuming and labor-intensive process. However, smart cemeteries are using technology to automate many of the maintenance tasks.
- Virtual Memorials Virtual memorials are another way that technology is changing the way we think about death and burial. Moreover, these memorials allow loved ones to create a digital space to honor the deceased. Thus, you can include photos, videos, and other digital content. In addition, they can be accessed from anywhere in the world. So, it is much easier for people to share memories and connect with others who are grieving.
Benefits of smart cemeteries
Smart cemeteries also offer a range of benefits to both cemetery managers and the public or families. Moreover, by embracing new technologies and innovative approaches, these cemeteries can create a more meaningful and sustainable end-of-life experience for everyone involved.
Benefits for cemetery managers:
- Improved Efficiency: Smart cemeteries can streamline cemetery management operations, reducing the time and labor required to maintain the grounds and graves.
- Increased Revenue: By offering innovative services and experiences, smart cemeteries can attract more visitors and generate more revenue.
Benefits for the public or families:
- Improved Accessibility: Smart cemeteries can make it easier for people to find and visit the graves of their loved ones, even if they are located far away.
- Enhanced Personalisation: Digital headstones, virtual memorials, and other innovative technologies can help families personalize the gravesite and honor the memory of their loved ones in a more meaningful way.
What Chronicle offers
Chronicle is committed to providing efficiency and flexibility for cemetery managers and families. In short, these are the smart cemetery features we are offering to cemetery managers and families.
For cemetery managers:
- Cemetery Management Software: This software enables cemetery managers to automate and streamline many of their day-to-day operations, such as managing plot sales, scheduling maintenance tasks, and tracking burial records. Moreover, this helps improve efficiency and accuracy while also reducing the administrative burden on staff.
- 3D Mapping Technology: This technology enables cemetery managers to create highly accurate digital maps of the cemetery. Thus, it is easier to manage and plan for new burials, maintenance tasks, and other cemetery operations.
- Online Cloud Storage: Cemetery’s data and records are encrypted securely on our online cloud storage, reducing the potential risks of losing data.
For the public or families:
- Online Cemetery Services: Many cemeteries now offer online services that enable the public to manage cemetery-related tasks from the comfort of their own homes. Specifically, this includes purchasing burial plots and creating online memorials.
- Virtual Cemetery Tours: Many cemeteries are now offering virtual tours that allow people to explore the cemetery grounds from their computers or smartphones. For example, many families who are living abroad use this feature to connect with their loved ones and learn more about history and their roots.
- Cemetery Mobile Apps: Mobile apps designed specifically for cemeteries can provide the public with a range of useful features, such as GPS-enabled grave location, digital mapping, and the ability to upload and share photos and memories of their loved ones.
So, do you want to know more about what Chronicle can offer to enhance your cemetery’s services? Schedule a free, no-commitment consultation with us via the button below.